Monday, May 2, 2011

Introduction

            People know of Salem, Massachusetts as “The Witch Town” but I know Salem as my home. I was born and raised in Salem and plan to return to the Northshore after graduation.
            My older brother Danny plays a large part in why I chose to be a teacher. Danny has special needs and attended the Northshore Education Consortium in Beverly while he was in school. I would occasionally go to the school and I always noticed how dedicated Danny’s teachers were and how determined they were to make sure Danny achieved and accomplished success in and out of the classroom. I began to notice how each teacher advocated for the success and achievement of their students and how devoted these teachers were to help change the world through children. Therefore, I came to the realization that teaching was what I truly wanted to do.
            When I began applying for colleges I asked Danny’s teachers what college would assist me to help reach my goals of becoming an elementary school teacher. Each teacher instantly replied with Wheelock College. I was immediately attracted to Wheelock due to the location in Boston, the close-knit community, and the work Wheelock is involved in to help children succeed.
            At Wheelock, I am a human development major with a focus in sociology. I believe that my major has helped me understand how social categories (class, gender, sex, age, religion, and race) affect human attitudes, actions, and opportunities. By being able to understand the structure of society I feel I am able to actively teach children without a bias or prejudice mind set.
            I currently work at Wheelock College Library as a librarian’s assistant as well as Longwood Medical Area Child Care Center as an assistant teacher. Due to my dedication to children as well as attending Wheelock, I currently work at the Northshore Education Consortium as a substitute teacher during vacations from college and a paraprofessional during the summer program.
            My pre-practicum was within an inclusive second grade class at the Driscoll Elementary School in Brookline, Massachusetts and my full practicum was within a third grade class at the Joseph Lee Elementary School in Dorchester, Massachusetts.  After completing my practicum within Dorchester, I came to the conclusion that I would like to work within the inner city after graduation.
            Although I would like to work within a urban school district, I am planning to return to school within the next two years to receive my a master’s degree and teaching license to teach students with moderate to severe disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment